Monday, July 26, 2010

Nursing School. Finally.

Some unmarked day in the early to mid spring of 2007 sitting at the stoplight on highway 30 and 5th Avenue I had an epiphany. I just couldn't take it any more. It was 6:40 am and I was on the way to what was unquestionably the shittiest job I've ever had in my life - working for "environmental services" a.k.a. housekeeping at a local healthcare facility. I won't bore you with the details, but suffice it to say I'd had enough of being spoken to like I was developmentally disabled by pretty much everyone and being treated like a sneaky child by my so-called superiors.

Through the years I've had my own photography business, driven a truck, and done all kinds of work for paltry sums of money, but along the way, I always wanted to be in the medical profession. I just didn't know how to make it happen. At that stoplight, I determined to find out.

A little over 3 years and some 86 credit hours later, here I am, trying to finish up the last few odds and ends so I can roll on in to UNMC properly papered and punched.

I thought it might be a nice idea to journal my experience in nursing school as a way of connecting to others, maybe, but also as a record for myself and my family. I hope it will be occasionally of interest or use to someone other than just myself.

Next entry: Hit me with your best shot - or - Thank you sir, may I have another?

No comments: